Thursday 26 July 2007

In September we are going to Koh Samui, Thailand for some much needed sun, warmth and relaxation. To be honest, we can't really afford such a luxury but we committed ourselves back when I was feeling quite optimistic about our financial situation and savings capability. Of course life doesn't always turn out how we think. It doesn't matter anyway as I'm destined to win Tattslotto this evening so it will all pan out.

Back to the land of smiling people, sun and food....

I'm on a quest to find a great cooking school there. Being a smallish island there aren't going to be many but I have found one that looks quite appealing...

http://www.sitca.net/booking_thai_cooking_classes.htm

But which day do I choose?? Too many for a person that hates making decisions to handle!! And I want to know it is authentic and not a western adaption of the Thai curries we have here. I might go the red curry option though as that is what we all seem to enjoy the most here at home when I make it.

I can't wait to walk past the street stalls and try bits and pieces. We've been to Thailand before (six years ago now) but not to Koh Samui. It is the street vendors that give you the real Thai food experience. Ohh and they're cheap too!

For me, food is one of the most important aspects of travelling somewhere new and exciting. I'm free from the kitchen and the responsibility for satifsying the masses here and I want my food experience to be a memorable one....hence why something like a cruise with a buffet three times a day just does not cut it for me! My ultimate though? Going on a self guided tour through country Italy experiencing food. I can give Rome the flick (although of course would still love to go there) if I could do that.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I am embarrassed to say the last time we went to Thailand the Aus. dollar was very strong and we gorged ourselves on Magnums that cost the equivalent of 30 cents. Bargain ice confection: not so very authentic!

Good luck with the Tatts tonight. i

traceyleigh said...

Ooohhh yes cheap icecream! Yay. Tara will be in heaven!

Where abouts have you been in Thailand? We have been there before too but not to Koh Samui. Haven't stayed on an island like that for two weeks before, so it will be interesting how I go.